Wednesday 15 August 2007

Anti-climax

Having done my bit and written to my MP about the plight of the Iraq employees of the British Army who look likely to be abandoned when British forces leave, I was delighted to receive a letter from my MP. Gosh, I thought, a good deed in a naughty worl!. A small contribution to one's country doing the decent thing! Participation in a great campaign orchestrated by the blogosphere. My heart swelled...

Until I read:

David has asked me to write. Thank you for your communication. We shall be in touch again as soon as possible.

I e-mailed him last Thursday, so I shall give him the benefit of the doubt for another twenty four hours whilst I consider appropriate re-phrasings of the expression "get yer arse in gear". On the other hand David Lepper is generally regarded as a decent bloke round these parts so I have little fear of him not doing the right thing.

Meanwhile, Dan Hardie has asked me to encourage my readers to support the campaign. It is touchingly sweet of Dan to assume that I actually have any, but if you were looking for Little Green Footballs and fetched up here by mistake can I draw your attention to the following links.

Talking points for a letter to MPs

Help with researching your MP is here

Tim Ireland has a campaign video here

Justin McKeating is keeping tabs on MP's responses here

As I said, a good deed in a naughty world. So if you haven't written to your MP yet, get on with it.

No comments: